Nov 21, 2010

Crazy, In The Best Sense

(Marissa)

This weekend was crazy, in the best sense of the word.

Mei and I were involved in a cultural celebration for the rededication of our temple. Last night we preformed for our prophet, earlier that afternoon we preformed for half the town, the night before that we were practicing until eleven and the previous two nights we practiced until ten.

Last night when I got home I sat down and, still sitting in my mom's wedding dress which I'd worn for the closing (on a side note: there are reasons people don't wear wedding dresses every day) I opened my email and found this:



















This is a photo taken from Brother Ford's phone on Friday night. I'm not sure what time it is, but I assure you that I was asleep, despite the noise of almost screaming their heads off in support of Tonga, Samoa, some awesome dancing with brooms or just in an effort to say something to the person next to them. Loud.

I'd show you pictures of the celebration but I don't have any. I don't really know what to tell you about the production. It was amazing what was pulled off, the leaders rocked and the kids did great. I'd never been with that many youth before. I stood maybe two feet from the prophet.

It went well and I'm happy to resuming a usual schedule which involves me going to bed some time before ten and being able to go to the Harry Potter film whenever I want. And, somewhere in between sleeping and movie seeing, I hope I'll manage to make a lemon tart for Thanksgiving and finish applying for college.

Over.

P.S.
Mei, mom and Elle just finished reading Wives and Daughters and aren't sure what to read next. Suggestions? Anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, it sounds wonderful! I wish I could have been there because I know the kind of energy that Laie puts into their productions. Especially when the prophet is coming. Good on Chad Ford for snapping that shot. hee hee

    I recently finished reading Good Things I Wish You. I HATED the ending, but it has lingered with me for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pic.
    I'm reading MFK Fisher right now. The Gastronomical Me. She's pretty amazing and you can pick up anything by her and be happy with it, I think.
    I also just read the Gastronomica Reader. Fascinating.
    Are you sensing a theme here?
    Oh, and I'm halfway through Keys to Good Cooking by Harold McGee. It's riveting.
    You're going to laugh but the other book I'm reading right now is "We Go Eat"-- that HCH collection of Hawaii food writing.
    Ever read any Kerouac? I also reread East of Eden this summer and it changed my life. Again. :) But you've probably already read that, right?
    I really want to see you in a wedding dress. As long as it's for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I suddenly feel really lucky to have two English teachers reading my blog. (Jackson, I just found two of the books I borrowed from you last year in my book shelf... Sorry... Should I give them to Palmer?)

    I haven't read any of the books you suggested, no, not even East of Eden. I'll even confess that I only have a vague idea of what it's about. Have I unconsciously broken a literary law? Was Good Things I Wish You sad? I have a problem with sad endings. Was the sad ending at least hopeful?

    I'm taking this a reading list for me, but I don't know if we'll read any of them as a family. We tend more towards the pop fiction reading lists. You know, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Ice Crown and Wives and Daughters. We tried Mistborns, but that was too suspenseful for my mom to read with us. Anyway. I'm sure we'll find something.

    Have you guys read the Elegance of a Hedgehog? I liked that one. If only because it's the first fiction book I've read in a while where I didn't know all the words. The plot doesn't really start until about halfway through the book, but I was OK with that.

    ReplyDelete